Friday, January 6, 2017

Pearl Barley Tabouleh


This is a variation on traditional Tabouleh that's very popular with my family. The differences are partially due to taste preferences in my household and partially due to availability of ingredients. I use pearl barley instead of wheat curd because I like the extra texture and punch of saltiness it adds. My recipe is also a little different when it comes to the type and quantity of herbs I use. I find traditional versions a little heavy on the parsley. The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients
1/4 cup pearl barley
2/3 cup of water plus 1 tsp salt
1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
1/2 cup diced fresh cucumber
4-5 scallions chopped or 1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
1 Tbs minced parsley
1 Tbs minced oregeno
1 Tbs minced sweet basil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

Combine water, salt, and barley in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover. Cook for twenty minutes and remove from heat and let cool. Place the cooked barley and any water that's left in a bowl. Add the other ingredients and toss to combine them. Place in the refrigerator for two hours and then allow to come back to room temperature before serving. It's even better if you allow the flavors to mingle in the fridge over night.


No comments:

Post a Comment